How to Start a Blog
So, you want to start your blogging website…!!
I must say, if you are planning to start your blog then you are a creative person with meaningful thoughts and imagination in your mind.
How the heck do you get started?
There are lots of information available on the internet and everyone is suggesting different things.
Whom should you listen to?
From where you should start?
Ahhhhh, it’s too confusing, better if I quit! (because of the dilemma you might think of quitting).
No, wait, just hold on.
It’s a common issue, even I had the same questions when I was starting my carrier in an online business. I was in a dilemma. I was totally confused about where should I start.
But look at me now I have successfully established my website and it’s doing pretty well.
And I am making passive income from my blogs.
Be with me I will help you in setting up your blog today itself.
Table of Contents
Blogging is the best way to share your idea and content with the world. And you might have some common questions (stated below) in your mind regarding the blog.
Can I Start A Blogging Website By Myself?
Of course, you can start your own blogging website without spending money on the web developer.
CMS platform like WordPress has been introduced, and it is widely used for creating a website.
You can use the same platform for creating your wonderful blogging website. Just follow the below steps to get your blog started today.
How Much Time Will It Take To Start A Blog?
Well, it won’t take much time.
It will take less than 30 minutes to start a blog. Just follow the provided information.
Lastly, it’s completely up to you how much time you are giving to it.
Creating quality content will take more time.
If you want your potential reader to read your post, it’s a good idea to spend more time creating a quality blog post rather than writing some junk.
Is Blogging FREE?
Yes, you can start blogging free of cost if you want to.
I assume you are familiar with the domain name and web hosting.
If you want to start a blog free of cost, you can sign up with companies that provide domain names and web hosting absolutely free.
The catch is, those websites will not belong to you, it will be the property of the company through which you have created your blogging website.
And the worst part you will not be allowed to monetize your site.
If you are serious about blogging, you’ll have to spend a few dollars to get a domain name and web hosting.
And that is perfectly fine.
What do you say? You can even monetize your website to earn a good amount of money.
A domain name will cost you around $10 per year (but you will get it for free if you signup with BlueHost) and web hosting usually cost you around $4 per month. In a nutshell, it cost less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
Can I Make Money Through Blogging?
You can monetize your blog and start making money through it.
Successful bloggers are making a huge amount of money more than $2,330,000/month.
There are endless ways to earn money from your blog. The sky is the limit.
It’s totally up to you how do you want to monetize your website.
You can learn more about monetizing your blog here Legit ways to monetize a blog.
I hope you have got an overall idea of blogging! So, without further ado, let’s get started…!!
9 Steps To Start A Successful Blog
1. Choose Your Niche
Before you learn how to start a successful blog, you must first find your niche. In simple language, a niche is a topic that you are going to write on your blog.
Suppose you want to start a food blog that specifically teaches people to make varieties of soup. Then ‘soup’ will be your niche. Here you can share tips on making different types and flavours of soup with your visitors.
To become a successful blogger, you will have to choose the right niche and work on attaining the highest form of knowledge within that topic.
So choose the niche that you are passionate about most interested in.
Recommended Reading: How to choose a profitable niche in 2021
2. Choose Your Blogging Platform
There are several platforms to choose from.
However, WordPress is the best blogging platform to start with and it’s ruling the blogging industry (Data of previous year).
As you can see WordPress is the most popular CMS platform for building a website and is an ideal option for someone who is going to start a blog for the very first time.
What Makes WordPress So Popular
1 Easy to install: Almost every host provider has a one-click installation option which makes WordPress popular.
You don’t need any coding experience for it, the installation will be done with a simple click.
2. It is totally Free with a large number of themes and plugins: The Best part of WordPress is, it’s free and is very easy to use and install.
You will get so many different themes and layouts as per your website requirement.
You will have access to all of the possibilities, whether you want to create a company website, a blog, or a social networking site, for free.
With ‘Plugins’ you will be able to add contact forms, subscription forms, image gallery and so on.
3. Responsive design: What does it mean for a site to be responsive?
It will adjust its layout as per the devices (like mobile phones or tablets) we use, no need to hire a web developer for that.
Why You Shouldn’t Create A Blog On A Free Platform
As previously stated, you can start a blog for free, but the functionality will be limited, and the websites will not be yours.
Even the web address will look something similar to ‘www.YourBlogAddress.blogspot.com’, which detract your credibility.
Not only this, there are some other flaws in the free option:
No Control: Since, your blog is being hosted on/ through another website (tumblr.com, blogspot.com, wix.com) there will be no control of yours.
If you violate their terms and condition in any manner (even accidentally), they can shut down your blog right away.
And there will be no chance to retrieve it back. All your hard work will vanish.
No Customization: Because of free hosting you will not be able to customize your website as per your need.
You can’t even use all plugins. You have to rely on the themes and plugins provided by your free hosting website.
Limited space: You’ll only get 1–2GB of storage space for your article, which is insufficient for photographs and videos.
Can’t monetize: Yeah, you read it right, some of them won’t allow you to monetize your blog.
In short, don’t create a free blog, especially if you’re serious about blogging.
Instead, create a self-hosted WordPress blog where you don’t have any limitations.
3. Choose A Domain Name
A Domain name is the physical name (URL) of a website people type into a browser’s address bar to visit the particular website.
You can choose or register any available domain name. To check the availability, just enter the website name below.
But, before you make a choice, you must decide what type of blog you want to create.
Getting the right name is really important so, I will suggest you few things while choosing a domain name.
1. Short and Memorable – Try to choose your domain name short and memorable.
People forget easily, the shorter name works better when it comes to remembrance and are easy to type.
2. Catchy – It will be great if a domain name rolls off the tongue.
3. Business website – If you are making a website for your business purpose, it would be best to choose a domain name that matches your company profile.
For example YourCompanyname.com
If you’ve decided on a name and are confident in it, go ahead and use it; otherwise, spend 5 minutes reading a comprehensive guide on domain tips.
Because it’s really important.
Domain name defines your brand and affects your ranking in search engines.
People usually do mistakes. Don’t be one of them.
4. Get Web Hosting And Register Your Domain Name
Web Hosting is a place (server) where all the files and data (the content of your site) of a website is stored.
On your computer, it’s a hard drive, where you keep your important files and documents so that you can easily access all of them when you need them.
This is exactly what a server is.
It is a computer that keeps all your files and is capable of performing operations on them. So, your viewers can see the content of your website from their devices whenever they want.
There is a good and bad hosting company that owns the server.
Choosing the best and reliable hosting company is one of the most important factors for creating a blog.
Bad host provider causes so many issues, the most common issues are:
- Slow site
- Security issue
- Hidden charges
- Worst customer support
Luckily, we have a host like Bluehost, an official WordPress recommended hosting company that is hosting millions of websites on their server.
Why is it recommended?
1. They are providing services since 2003 – indicates the reliability
2. They have a one-click WordPress installation – perfect for beginners (even for webmasters).
3. 30 days money-back guarantee – no need to worry.
4. Superior customer support – 24/7 live chat/ phone support.
5. The best part, you will get a free domain name (usually cost $10/ year) and host at only $2.95/ month if you sign up now.
Of course, you are not bound to go with Bluehost.
You are free to choose any reliable host provider for your WordPress website.
Let’s go ahead and get your domain and hosting.
First thing first, open the Bluehost website in a new window and follow me.
On the home page, you need to click on the “get started now” button.
Upon clicking you will be landed on the hosting plan page. There you will get four options:
- Choice Plus
I suggest you choose the ‘basic’ plan, it’s a perfect start for a new blogger.
When you will start getting millions of visitors then switch to a higher plan (You can downgrade or upgrade it anytime).
Next, you will get the option to choose a new domain name.
If you already owned a domain name (i.e already registered somewhere else), then put it in the right box stating ‘Use a domain you own’ and click on next.
Lastly, you will have to provide the account information ( to make a hosting account with BlueHost ).
Fill all the details then move to the next section.
In ‘Package information’ choose the account plan.
The higher you choose the better price you get.
In order to get the best value, I recommend you go with 36 months.
Uncheck all the add-on options, you really don’t need them.
Scroll down and made the payment.
If you want to pay with PayPal click on the ‘more payment option’.
Once completed you will receive a confirmation email with details on how to login to your cPanel.
A place from where you will manage your account settings and install WordPress.
5. Install And Configure WordPress
So far so good.
Now we will see how to install WordPress.
As I previously stated, Bluehost has made things quite simple, and you can install WordPress with a single click.
To do so:
1) Log in to your Bluehost control panel (cPanel) with the details which have been sent to your registered email address.
2) On cPanel you will see dozens of icons, ignore all of them and click on the ‘Install WordPress’ icon followed by the ‘Get started button’.
3) On the next page, you will be asked to choose your domain name.
From the drop-down section choose the URL of your domain name and click ‘Next’.
4) After that, enter the name of your website and create a username and password (we will use this while login into your WP site).
Tick all the checkboxes and hit the ‘install‘ button.
WordPress installation will begin and take a few minutes.
No need to do anything here, wait until the installation is finished. Upon completion, you will get a success notification at top of the page.
Congratulations, you have created your WordPress website on your own. Cheers…!!
Now we will learn to customize the site appearance and start writing the article on it.
6. Customize Your Website Design and Structure
At this stage when you visit your blog it will look similar to the below screenshot.
To configure your website, you need to log in to the back-end of your WordPress dashboard.
From here you can start customizing your blog as per your requirement.
- To login type https://yoursitename.com/wp-admin (Replace yoursitename.com with your actual domain name).
- Enter your username and password you previously entered while installing the WordPress and you will be redirected to the WordPress dashboard, which looks like the below screen.
The dashboard might confuse you, and you will feel a bit overwhelmed.
But don’t worry, I have promised to get your blog up and running. I will guide you throughout the dashboard.
First of all,
You need to choose a perfect theme for your blog.
How to Install a Theme in WordPress?
On the sidebar of your dashboard, hover the cursor on ‘Appearance’ and from the drop-down, click on ‘Themes’ followed by ‘Add new’.
You will be redirected to the theme section, where you can choose any theme as per your blog niche or pick something you love.
However, consider a few things while a theme:
1. Simplicity: It will be great if you choose simple themes.
These themes would be easy to navigate. Better to avoid fancy and bulky themes.
2. Responsive design: A significant number of web traffic is generated from smarts phones and tablets. Make sure the theme you are choosing is mobile friendly.
3. Browsers compatibility: Some developers only design their theme for certain browsers. So check it wisely.
4. SEO Friendly: Always go for the theme which is SEO optimized because it plays a crucial role in the overall SEO ranking factor.
5. Light-weighted: Light theme helps a website to load fast. A site that loads under 2 seconds ranks better in a search result.
The theme I use is Astra – It’s has all the quality a website owner needed and is the fastest-growing theme of all time.
Moving forward, Once you find your desired theme, just click on ‘Install’ followed by the ‘Activate’ button.
To check the preview of your website, hover your mouse to the top left corner of your WordPress dashboard where you see your site name.
From the drop-down, you will get an option to visit the site, click the right button of the mouse and open it in a new tab or window to view your site.
If you like, you can change your Theme later.
It won’t delete your previous post, pages, and content. So, not to worry if you want to give your site a new look.
I have assumed that you have installed the Astra theme.
7. Add New Pages To Your Website
It’s very simple to add a new page (like About us, services, contact us whatever you want) on your WordPress website.
To do so, go to your dashboard’s sidebar and select ‘Pages’, followed by ‘Add New’.
When you click ‘Add new’, a page that appears very similar to the text editor will open, where you may add a title, text, images, tables, charts, and much more.
Ok, let’s break down (1-3) for better understanding.
1. Title Area: Write the title of your page.
2. Content Area: Here you can write the content of your page. You can also insert images and videos into your content. Click on the ‘Add Media button’ to insert them.
3. Additional tools: In this section, you will find so many options. Here you can add featured images change the page layout and publish or preview the page.
If you want to add new page elements – click on the ‘+’ icon that’s in the top left corner of the editor interface.
Any block you select here will be added at the bottom of your page.
As always, remember to click on ‘Publish’ when you’re done.
However, if you want to make your website more attractive with animation and eye-catching designs you can install the Elementor page builder.
Add Menus To WordPress
Menus are the most important layout of any blog, it helps your visitor to navigate your site and its content smoothly.
Generally, the primary menu consists of pages like ‘About’, ‘Blog’, ‘Service’, and ‘Contact’.
The number of menus and their placement depends on the WordPress theme you have installed.
There is no point in creating a website if your visitor will not be able to find the content of your site easily.
So, be careful while creating it because bad menus can lead your visitors to leave your website immediately.
How To Add Pages To The Menu?
To add a newly created page to the menu ( navigation bar ) follow the below steps.
1) On the sidebar of the dashboard click on ‘Appearance’ and select ‘Menu’.
2) Locate the page you have created and add it to the list by clicking the checkbox next to it and then hit on the ‘Add to menu’ button.
For reference check the below screenshot.
How Can I Add Post To The Blog And Categorize It?
Just like adding the page, you can add a blog post on your website.
To do so, go to the sidebar and click on ‘Add new‘ under ‘Post.’
A visual editor which is very similar to the normal text editor will open where you can add text, images, lists, videos, alignment, and hyperlinks.
Start writing your blog post and publish it when finished.
You can also categorize your post. To do so:
First of all, you have to create a category for your blog post.
Go to Posts >> Categories.
Create the category by giving it a proper name, slug and description (refer to the below screenshot).
Once you have finished writing your blog, you can add it to the desired category (from section number 3 of the text editor).
8. Get Traffic And Monetize Your Blog
Congratulations! You have successfully created your blogging website. Now it’s time to work on certain things to get more traffic to your site.
To get traffic:
- Start writing a compelling post. A post that is rich in content gets traffic.
- Share your post on a social media platform.
- Embedded your post with eye-catching images.
- Start building backlinks (it’s an SEO strategy).
- Dominate with Quora.
And, to make things even easier, I’ve put together a full SEO guide.
Keep it in mind.
More Traffic = More Money
There are numerous ways through which you can monetize your blog. But remember always choose the legit ways.
The most popular ways to earn money from a website are:
- Affiliate marketing
- Google Adsense
- Premium content
- Sell Ad space
Once you set up your blog, start thinking of monetizing it and to know more about monetization check out my article on proven ways to monetize a WordPress website.
9. Basic Setup Of Blog
How Can You Update Website Title And Tagline?
This is a question that a lot of people have. Is it possible to modify the name (not the URL) and tagline of my website?
It’s really simple, and you may modify the title and tagline of your website at any time.
To do so go to ‘Settings’ select ‘General’, where you will see an option to update or change your website title and tagline.
Once you have made the changes, click on the ‘Save Changes’ button.
How To Disable Comments For Posts And Pages?
To disable the comment feature on your website follow the below steps.
1) At the top right corner of the text editor, you will see the ‘Screen Option‘ dropdown tab. Once you click on this, some options will appear.
2) Enable the ‘Discussion‘ option. Then a new section will appear below the text editor, where you have to uncheck ‘Allow comments’.
In this way, on that particular post/ page no one will be able to comment.
3) To disable comments on every new page or post by default, go to default ‘Settings >> Discussion’ and uncheck ‘Allow people to post comments on the new article’.
How To Edit Sidebar?
Almost every WordPress themes have a sidebar on the right side. However, in some cases, it will be on the left side.
To customize the sidebar (technically known as a widget) follow the below steps.
1) Go to ‘Appearance’ followed by ‘Widgets’ in the sidebar of WordPress Dashboard.
2) From there you can drag and drop available widgets to the different boxes of your sidebar. You can also completely remove the item you don’t want.
How To Setup Static Front Page
1) Go to ‘Settings’ followed by ‘Reading’
2) From the ‘HomePage‘ drop down option choose the static page you want to display as the home page.
How To Install A Plugin On WordPress?
Plugins are apps that allow you to add new features and functionality to your WordPress website.
Just like installing themes, plugins are also very simple to install.
- Go to the sidebar of the dashboard.
- Click on ‘Plugins’ followed by ‘Add new’ and start searching for the plugins you need.
- Once you find the plugin of your choice, click on install, and it will be ready to use.
However, before installing any plugins, I would suggest you read this article carefully.
That’s all you will need to start your blog.
- Go to BlueHost and setup your CMS
- Choose the best suitable theme like Astra
- Add Pages and Post ( if you have a blog section )
Bonus: I will suggest some popular, powerful and most useful plugins for your website that will be needed.
1. Contact form 7 is the best plugin to have, people can fill the form and send an email to you without login into their email.
It is fabulous.
You can check the complete guide on how to add a contact form on your website.
2. Yoast SEO is the most powerful plugin for a WordPress website.
Having Yoast SEO installed on your website help you in improving the ranking of your site on Google.
So, it is highly recommended to install and use Yoast SEO to rank your website in an easy way.
3. Elementor is one of the best drag and drop page builders to create attractive web pages and posts.
4. Limit Login Attempts is highly recommended, it protects your website from unauthorized login.
If someone tries to log in to your WordPress back-end account, it will block that user (IP Address) as per your settings.
It is very easy to install and set up the Limit Login Attempt.
5. Meta Slider is one of the best and free plugins to add image sliders to your WordPress website.
It is responsive in nature and very easy to customize.
To make things easier I have made a complete guide on Meta Slider check this out.
Congratulations !! You have created your blogging website on your own. Cheers…!!
If you found this guide helpful, do support me by sharing it. If you need any assistance or help comment below I will definitely help you with that.
If you found this post helpful please do share and support us.
Frequently asked questions On Blog
Absolutely yes, you can start blogging today without any coding skills. Just follow my guide to start your blog today.
The only thing you need is to write in an editor that pretty much looks like a Word document.