How to Make a WordPress Website in 2020
Hey everyone what’s up?
In this post, I will take you through the entire process of making a website using WordPress. I promise by end of the article your website will up and run.
P.S – If you need personal help don’t hesitate to contact me.
Continue Reading (for extra knowledge)
What if I say, nowadays, you don’t need to know any programming (although HTML is not a programming language) or script languages to create a website.
As technology keeps on updating, now we have an option to make our website using a CMS platform.
In simple words, a content management system (CMS) is a user-friendly platform for building a website and managing your online content, instead of using a bunch of HTML and CSS pages.
That is why people still think, creating a website from scratch is difficult or requires a lot of coding and designing skills but that’s no longer true.
Content Management System has made things easier to build any kind of website you need. Here you have to install a CMS and a theme that can be modified to suit the specific niche and purpose of your site.
There are several platforms to choose from.
However, WordPress is the best CMS platform to start with and it’s ruling the website industry (Data from the previous year).
Table of Contents
What makes WordPress so popular
1. Easy to install: Almost every good host provider has a one-click installation option. You don’t need any coding experience for it. The installation will be done with a simple click.
2. Themes and plugins: Not only WordPress is free, But you will also get so many different options of themes and plugins which can be used as per the website requirement.
3. Responsive layout: What does it mean for a site is responsive?
A responsive site adjusts its layout according to the devices ( like mobile phones or tablets ) we use, no need to hire a web developer for that.
Of course, there are other CMS platforms you can choose
1. Drupal is the second largest CMS platform after WordPress – having its own plugins, utilized by big corporations with a vast website and high traffic loads.
But if you are new to web development then it will be a bad choice.
Because it is designed for complex website development with high traffic loads and having a very steep learning curve.
2. Joomla is somehow similar to WordPress but you will be needed a little bit of technical knowledge to make it work the way you want.
It is easier to handle as compared to Drupal but not better than WordPress for the beginners.
So, if you are a beginner, I strongly recommend sticking with WordPress.
By now, we have decided which platform we have to choose.
Having said that let’s get started…
Step 1: Buy a Web Hosting and Register a Domain Name
You will be needed a domain name and web hosting to run a website.
A Domain name is a URL one’s types into a browser’s address bar to visit the particular website.
Whereas, Web Hosting is a place (server) where all the files and data (the content of your site) of a website are stored.
On your computer its hard-drive, where you keep your important files and documents so that you can easily access all of them when you need it.
This is exactly what a server (hosting) is.
It is a computer that keeps all your files and is capable of performing operations on them. So, your viewers can see the content of your website from their devices whenever they want.
Be warned, there are several bad hosting companies out there who owns the server and they have major drawbacks. The most common issues are:
- Slow site
- Security issue
- Hidden charges
- Worst customer support
That is why you should always choose the best and reliable hosting company for creating a website.
It will only cost around $3 – $7 per month.
The host I am using to run this website is Fastcomet and I recommend you to go for it.
1. I have used several host provider and found Fastcomet is one of the best hosting company to host a website.
2. It provides SSD ( solid-state drives ) Space instead of HDD which is up to 300% faster than traditional HDDs ( Hard Disk Drive ).
Check the speed of my website it takes less than 1 second to load.
If you want to know how fast your site is, then here is a website called pingdom.com. You can check your site performance too.
3. They provide CDN, website transfer, daily/weekly backups at free of cost.
4. They have 10 different data centres across the world:
- Chicago, US-North
- Dallas, US Central
- Newark, NJ-US
- London, UK Europe
- Frankfurt, Germany Europe
- Amsterdam, Netherlands, Europe
- Singapore, Asia-Pacific
- Tokyo, Japan, Asia
- Toronto, Canada
- Mumbai, India
5. They have one-click WordPress installation – perfect for beginners (even for webmasters).
6. Superior customer support – 24/7 live chat/ phone support.
7. The best part you will get a domain name at minimum rate and host at only $2.95/ month.
8. 45 days money-back guarantee – no need to worry.
Want proof? Check their website right now…!!
Of course, you are not bound to go with Fastcomet. You are free to choose any suitable and reliable host provider for your WordPress website.
So, without further ado, let’s get started…!!
First thing first, Open Fastcomet website in a new window and follow me.
On the home page, you need to click on the “start now” button.
Upon clicking you will be scrolled to the hosting plan column. There you will get three options:
- FastCloud (StartSmart)
- FastCloud Plus (ScaleRight)
- FastCloud extra (SpeedUp)
I suggest getting started with the “FastCloud” plan.
When you will start getting millions of visitors to your website then switch to the higher plan (You can downgrade or upgrade it anytime).
On the next page, you will get an option to enter a new domain name.
If you have already purchased a domain name somewhere else and want to switch to Fastcomet then click on “I already have a domain name“.
Then enter your registered name and migrate at free of cost for the lifetime, else simply enter the new Domain name for your website and proceed.
Lastly, you will have to provide the account information ( to make a hosting account with Fastcomet ).
Fill all the details then move to the next section
In the “Product Information” section choose the hosting plan, data centre near to your location and for how long you want to register your website.
Higher you choose the better price you get.
In order to get the best value, I recommend you to go with 12 months.
Uncheck all the add-on option, you really don’t need them.
Scroll down and make the payment.
If you want to pay with PayPal click on “Paypal” or else pay with “Credit Card“.
Once completed you will receive a confirmation email with login details of the cPanel of your hosting account, a place from where you will manage your account settings and install WordPress.
Step 2: Set Up Your Website
Once you purchased your domain and hosting now its time to install WordPress to your domain.
So far so good.
I have already mentioned it earlier, almost every reliable and well-established hosting provider has 1 click WordPress installation feature.
If you have signed up with Fastcomet or a similar hosting company you will get an option to install WordPress with one click.
To do so:
1. Login to your Fastcomet hosting account.
2. Go to the control panel (cPanel).
3. Look for the “Softaculous Apps Installer” section and click on the “WordPress icon” followed by the “install” button.
4. Next, you will be asked to choose the domain name under which you would like to have your WordPress installed.
P.S: Be advised that you do not need to create a separate database for your script prior to installing it via Softaculous.
The auto-installer will create a new database and user for you during the setup process.
5. After that enter your website name, site description and create username & password ( this login details will be used while login to your backend of WP site).
Tick all the checkboxes and hit the “install” button.
WordPress installation will begin and it will take a couple of minutes.
“P.S: If you find any difficulties then ask the customer support to install WordPress on your behalf. They will happily do it for you.”
No need to do anything here, wait until the installation is finished. Upon completion, you will get a success notification.
Test your website by typing in your domain address
What you should do next is test if everything works.
The easiest way to do that is to type in your domain name into the web browser.
With WordPress correctly installed, the thing you’ll see is a very basic website like this:
If this doesn’t look too attractive, don’t worry, you’ll soon learn how to change the design to something more appealing.
Step 3: Customize Your Website Design
Log in to the back-end of your WordPress to customize your website as per your requirement.
1. To log in, go to – https://yoursitename.com/wp-admin ( Replace yoursitename.com with your actual domain name ).
2. Enter the username and password you previously entered while installing the WordPress and you will be redirected to the WordPress dashboard, which looks like below screen.
The dashboard might confuse you and you will feel a bit overwhelmed but don’t worry, I have promised to get your website up and running.
Just follow me.
Choose the perfect theme for your website.
To do so, head to the sidebar of the dashboard, hover the cursor on “Appearance” and from the drop-down click on “Themes” followed by “Add new“.
You will get access to over 2000 free themes! Browse it to find your desired one.
Use filters or search with specific keywords to find the theme that suits your website.
Make sure you consider a few things while choosing a theme
1. Simplicity: It will be great if you choose simple themes.
These themes would be easy to navigate. Better to avoid fancy and bulky themes.
2. Responsive design: A significant number of web traffic is generated from smarts phones and tablets.
Make sure the theme you are choosing is mobile friendly.
3. SEO Friendly: Always go for the theme which is SEO optimized because it plays a crucial role in the overall SEO ranking factor.
4. Light-weighted: Light theme helps the website to load fast. A site that loads under 2 seconds ranks better in the search result.
The theme I use is Astra – It’s has all the quality and is the fastest-growing theme of all time.
Moving forward, Once you find your desired theme, just click on “Install” followed by the “Activate” button.
To check the preview of your website, hover your mouse to the top left corner of your WordPress dashboard where you see your site name.
From the drop-down, you will get an option to visit the site, click the right button of the mouse and open it in a new tab or window to view your site.
I have assumed that you have installed the Astra theme.
Add New Pages To Your Website
It’s very easy to add new pages on your WordPress website.
Pages are the essence of your website. It’s hard to imagine a website without any pages on it, right?
To add new pages
First of all, go to the sidebar of your WordPress dashboard and click on “Pages” option followed by “Add New”.
Once you click on “Add new” a text editor will open which looks very similar to the Microsoft Word, where you can add title, text, images, tables, charts and much more.
Ok, let’s break down ( 1-3 ) for better understanding.
1. Title Area: Write the title of your page.
2. Content Area: Here you can write the content of your page. You can also insert images and videos into your content. Just click on the “Add Media button” to insert them.
3. Additional tools: In this section, you will find so many options. Here you can add featured images, adjust page layout, and publish or preview the page.
If you want to add new page elements – click on the “+” icon that’s in the top left corner of the editor interface.
Any block you select there will be added at the bottom of your page.
You can edit it freely, change the properties of the text, plus there are color settings in the right sidebar. Do whatever you want.
As always, remember to click on “Publish” when you’re done.
However, if you want to make your website more attractive with animation and eye-catching designs you can install the Elementor page builder.
Add Menus To WordPress
Menus are the most important layout of any website, it helps your visitor to navigate your site and its content smoothly.
Example of an ideal menu bar is:
There is no point in creating a website if your visitor will not be able to find the content of your site easily.
So, be careful while creating it because bad menus can lead your visitors to leave your website immediately.
How to Add pages to the menu?
To add a newly created page to the menu ( navigation bar ) follow the below steps.
1) On the sidebar of the dashboard click on “Appearance” and select “Menu”.
2) Locate the page you have created and add to the list by clicking the checkbox next to it and then hit on the “Add to menu” button.
For reference check the below screenshot.
How to add a blog to your website?
WordPress is so rich that you can make a blog section on your website within a few minutes.
First of all, create a new page and name it as a “Blog”, leave the text box blank and click on the Publish button.
You have a blank page that redirects to https://yourdomain.com/blog.
Next, you need to assign the page you just created as your Blog page.
For that go to Settings and click on Reading. From the Post Page drop-down list, choose the blog page you just created and save the changes.
Once done, add it to the menu.
In the same way, we added the page in the previous step.
After that start writing your blog post. And to create it, click on “Post” in the admin panel followed by “Add new”.
A text editor will open where you can add Post title, text, images, lists, videos, alignment, and hyperlinks.
Once you finish writing your blog post, add it to the category you have created.
Congratulations! You have successfully created your website. Now its time for some basic setup and FAQs.
How to update Website Title and Tagline?
This is a very common question that comes to mind.
Can I change my website name ( Title ) and its tagline?
Trust me guys it is very simple and you can change your website title and tagline at any time.
To do so, go to “Settings” select “General”, where you will see an option to update or change your website title and tagline.
Once you have made the changes, click on the “Save Changes” button.
How to disable comments for posts and pages?
To disable comment feature on your website follow the below steps.
1) In-text editor at the top right corner, you will see “Screen Option”. Once you click on this some options will appear.
2) You have to click on “Discussion”, then a new section will appear below the text editor, where you have to uncheck “Allow comments”.
In this way, on that particular post/ page no one will be able to comment.
3) To disable comment on every new page or post by default, go to default “Settings >> Discussion” and uncheck “Allow people to post comments on new article”.
How to edit sidebar?
Almost every WordPress themes have a sidebar on the right side, however, in some cases, it will be on the left side.
To customize the sidebar (technically known as “widget”) one’s can follow the below steps:
1) Go to “Appearance” followed by “Widgets” in the sidebar of WordPress Dashboard.
2) From there you can drag and drop available widgets to the different boxes of your sidebar, you can also completely remove the item you don’t want.
How to set up a static front page?
1) Go to “Settings” followed by “Reading”
2) Choose the static page you want to display as the home page under the “HomePage” option.
How to install a Plugin on WordPress?
A plugin gives additional features to WordPress themes to expand or increase its capability which doesn’t come built-in.
Just like installing themes, plugins are also very simple to install.
- Go to the sidebar of the dashboard.
- Click on “Plugins” followed by “Add new” and start searching for the plugins you need.
- Once you find the plugin of your choice, click on install and it will be ready to use.
However, before installing any plugins, I would suggest you read this article carefully.
That’s all you will be needed to start a website.
Quick steps: How to make a website
- Go to Fastcomet and setup your CMS
- Choose the best suitable theme like Astra
- Add Pages and Post ( if you have a blog section )
Bonus: Here are some popular, powerful, and most useful plugins for your website.
1. Contact form 7 is the best plugin to have, people can fill the form and send an email to you without login into their own email.
It is fabulous.
You can check my post on how to add a contact form on your website.
2. Yoast SEO is the most powerful plugins for a WordPress website.
Having Yoast SEO installed on your website ensures that you will customize your blog post effectively that will help you in improving the ranking of your site on search results.
So, it is highly recommended to install and use Yoast SEO to rank your website easily.
3. Elementor, one of the best page builders to create an attractive web page and post with drag and drop options.
4. Limit Login Attempts is highly recommended it protects your website from unauthorized login.
If someone tries to log in to your WordPress back-end, it will block that user (IP Address) as per your settings.
It is very easy to install and setup the Limit Login Attempt.
5. Meta Slider is one of the best and free plugins to add image slider in your WordPress website.
It is responsive and very easy to customize.
To make things easier I have written a complete guide on Meta Slider check that out.
Congratulations buddy!! You have created your WordPress website on your own. Cheers…!!
If this guide was helpful to you, do support me by sharing it. If you need any assistance or help comment below I will definitely help you with that.
If you found this post helpful please do share and support us.
Frequently asked questions
You can make a website on a free platform like bloggers.com or a free hosting platform 000webhost for the learning purpose.
However, If you are serious about your business and online career you should always consider spending a few bucks on a good domain, hosting, and plugins.
A self-hosted website gives you freedom in so many ways.
You can easily monetize your website. You will have full control over your website. You can redesign or update your website as per the trends at any time.
By using Google search console you can submit your website to Google platform.
Check out this detailed post on how to add WordPress site to Google search console.
There are several ways to make money online but make sure you are using legit ways.
Few of them are:
1. Make Money With Affiliate Marketing
2. Start Blogging To Earn Money Online
3. Earn Money Online From YouTube
4. Sell Your Own Digital Products Like eBook or Online courses
5. Become a Freelancer
6. Earn Money by Flipping Website
7. Start Dropshipping
9. Start e-commerce website
10. Create an App
I have written a comprehensive article on how to money online check it for complete details.