How to Make a WordPress Website
Hey everyone what's up?
In this post, I will take you through the entire process of making a website using WordPress. I promise by end of the article your website will up and run.
What if I say that nowadays you don't need to know any programming or script languages to create a website.
As technology keeps on updating, now we have an option to make our website using CMS platform.
In simple words, a content management system (CMS) is a user-friendly platform for building websites and managing your own online content, instead of using a bunch of HTML and CSS pages.
Having said that let's get started...
Basically, we have to go with three steps:
Step 1: Choose The Right Platform
Content Management System has made things easier to build any kind of website you need.
A CMS is a user-friendly platform for building a website instead of using a bunch of loose HTML pages. You can install a theme which can be modified to suit the specific niche and purpose of your site.
There are several platforms to choose from. However, WordPress is the best CMS platform to start with and it's ruling the website industry (Data from previous year).
What makes WordPress so popular:
1 Easy to install: Almost every host provider has one-click installation option which makes WordPress popular, you don’t need any coding experience for it, the installation will be done with a simple click.
2. It is totally Free with a large number of themes and plugins: The Best part of WordPress is, it's free and is very easy to use and install. You will get so many different themes and layouts as per your website requirement. Either you want to make a business website, a blog or a social networking site, you will get all the options absolutely free. With Plugins, you can enhance the functionality of your website.
3. Responsive design: What does it mean for a site being responsive? It will adjust its layout as per the devices ( like mobile phones or tablets ) we use, no need to hire a web developer for that.
Of course, there are other CMS platforms you can choose.
- #Drupal is the second largest CMS platform after WordPress having its own plugins utilized by big corporate with the vast website and high traffic loads. But if you new to web development then it will be a bad choice, since it is designed for complex website development with high traffic loads having a very steep learning curve.
- #Joomla is somehow similar to the WordPress but you will need little bit technical knowledge/ coding to make it work the way you want. It is easier to handle as compared to Drupal but not better than WordPress for the beginners.
However, I strongly recommend sticking with WordPress especially if you are a beginner.
So by now, we have decided which platform we have to choose. Yes, WordPress...!!
Step 2: Get a Domain name & Web Hosting
We will be needed a domain name and web hosting to run a website.
A Domain name is the URL one types into a browser’s address bar to visit the particular website.
Whereas Web Hosting is a place [server] where all the files and data (content of your site) of a website is stored.
On your computer its hard-drive, where you keep your important files or documents so that you can easily access all of them when you need it.
This is exactly what a server is. It is a computer which keeps all your files and is capable of performing operations on them. So, that your viewers can see the content of your website from their devices whenever they want.
There are several bad hosting companies out there who owns the server and they have major drawbacks. The most common issues are:
- Slow site
- Security issue
- Hidden charges
- Worst customer support
That is why you should always choose the best and reliable hosting company for creating a website. It will cost around $4 - $7 per month.
The host I am using to run this website is Fastcoment and I recommend you to go for it.
1. I have used several host provider and Fastcomet is one of the best hosting company to host a website.
2. It provides SSD ( solid state drives ) Space instead of HDD which is up to 300% faster than traditional HDDs ( Hard Disk Drive ).
3. They provide CDN, website transfer, daily/weekly backups at free of cost.
4. They host websites on 7 different data center locations:
- Chicago, US North
- Dallas, US Central
- London, UK Europe
- Frankfurt, Germany, Europe
- Amsterdam, Netherlands, Europe
- Singapore, Asia-Pacific
- Tokyo, Japan, Asia
5. They have one-click WordPress installation - perfect for beginners (even for webmasters).
6. Superior customer support - 24/7 live chat/ phone support.
7. Best part you will get a free domain name (usually cost $15/ year) and host at only $2.95/ month.
8. 45 days money back guarantee - no need to worry.
Want proof? Check their website right now...!!
Of course, you are not bound to go with Fastcomet. You are free to choose any suitable and reliable host provider for your WordPress website.
So, without further ado, let's get started...!!
First thing first open Fastcomet website in a new window and follow me.
On the home page, you need to click on "start now" button.
Upon clicking you will be scrolled to hosting plan column. There you will get three options:
I suggest getting started with "StartSmart" plan. When you will start getting millions of visitors to your website then switch to higher plan (You can downgrade or upgrade it anytime).
On the next page, you will get an option to enter a new domain name.
If you have already registered a domain name somewhere else and want to switch to Fastcomet then click on "I already have a domain name". Then enter your registered name and migrate at free of cost for the lifetime.
Lastly, you will have to provide the account information ( to make a hosting account with Fastcomet ). Fill all the details then move to next section.
In "Billing cycle" choose for how long you want to register your website. Higher you choose the better price you get, In order to get the best value, I recommend you to go with 36 months.
Uncheck all the add-on option, you really don't need them. Scroll down and make the payment. If you want to pay with PayPal click on "Paypal" or else pay with "Credit Card".
Once completed you will receive a confirmation email with details on how to login to your cPanel. A place from where you will manage your account settings and install WordPress.
Step 3: Installation and Customization
So far so good. Now we will see how to install WordPress.
As I have mentioned earlier almost every reliable and well-established hosting provider has 1 click WordPress installation feature.
If you have signed up with Fastcomet or similar hosting company you will get an option to install WordPress with one click.
To do so:
1. Login to your Fastcomet hosting account.
2. Go to control panel (cPanel).
3. Look for "Softaculous Apps Installer" section and click on "WordPress icon" followed by "install" button.
4. Next, you will be asked to choose the domain name under which you would like to have your WordPress installed.
P.S: Be advised that you do not need to create a separate database for your script prior installing it via Softaculous. The auto installer will create a new database and user for you during the setup process.
6. After that enter your website name, site description and create username & password ( this login details will be used while login to your WP site). Tick all the checkboxes and hit the "install" button.
WordPress installation will begin and it will take a couple of minutes. No need to do anything here wait until the installation is finished. Upon completion, you will get a success notification.
Then we will customize the site appearance and start adding pages to it.
Configure your newly created website
Login to the back-end of your WordPress to customize your website as per your requirement.
- To login type http://yoursitename.com/wp-admin ( Replace yoursitename.com with your actual domain name ).
- Enter your username and password you previously entered while installing the WordPress and you will be redirected to the WordPress dashboard, which looks like below screen.
The dashboard might confuse you and you will feel a bit overwhelmed but don’t worry, I have promised to get your website up and running. Just follow me.
First of all, you need to choose a perfect theme for your blog. To do so, head to the sidebar of the dashboard hover the cursor on "Appearance" and from the drop-down, click on “Themes” followed by "Add new".
You will get access to over 2000 free themes! Browse it to find your desired one. Use filters or search with specific keywords to find the theme that suits your website.
However, consider few thing while choosing it:
Simplicity: It will be great if you choose simple themes which would be easy to navigate, better to avoid some fancy one.
Responsive design: A significant number of web traffic is generated from smarts phones and tablets. Make sure the theme you are choosing is mobile friendly.
SEO Friendly: Always go for the theme which is SEO optimized because it plays a crucial role in overall SEO ranking factor.
Once you find your desired theme, just click on “Install” followed by “Activate” button.
To check the preview of your website, hover your mouse to the top left corner of your dashboard where you see your site name. From the drop-down, you will get an option to visit the site, click right button of the mouse and open it in new tab or window to view your site.
How do I add content and create a new page?
It's very simple to add a new page ( like About us, services, contact etc ) on your WordPress website. Check for the “Pages” option in the sidebar of your dashboard and then click on “Add New”.
Once you will click on “Add new” a text editor will open which looks very similar to the Microsoft Word, where you can add title, text, images, tables, charts and much more.
Ok, let's break down ( 1-5 ) for better understanding.
1) Title Area: Write the title of your page.
2) Content Area: Here you can write the content of your page. You can also insert images and videos in your content. Just click on "Add Media button" to insert them.
3) Tools: By using tools section you can add heading and subheading. You will also get an option to change the font color or alignments of your content.
4) Publishing Area: After completion of the newly created page, you can either publish it or preview it from this area.
5) Additional tools: In this section, you will get so many options. Check them wisely.
How to add Menus to WordPress?
Menus are the most important layout of any website, it helps your visitor to navigate your site and its content smoothly.
There is no point in creating a website if your visitor will not be able to find the content of your site easily. Bad menus can lead your visitors to leave your website so, be careful while creating it.
How can I Add pages to the menu?
To add a newly created page to the menu ( navigation bar ) follow the below steps.
1) On the sidebar of the dashboard click on “Appearance” and select “Menu”.
2) Locate the page you have created and add to the list by clicking the checkbox next to it and then hit on “Add to menu” button. For reference check the below screenshot.
Can I add blog section on my website?
Of course, you can.
WordPress is so rich that you can make a separate blog section on your website within few minutes.
First of all, create a new category by going to "Post" followed by "Categories". Once you create, add it to the menu. The same way we added the page in the previous step.
After that start writing your blog post and to create it, search for “Post” in the sidebar and click on “Add new”. A text editor will open where you can add Post title, text, images, lists, videos, alignment, and hyperlinks ( see the below screenshot for reference ).
Once you finish writing your blog post, add it to the category you have created.
Congratulations! You have successfully created your website. Now its time for some basic setup and FAQs.
Basic setup and FAQs
How can you update Website Title and Tagline?
This is a very common question which comes to mind. Can I change my website name ( Title ) and its tagline?
Trust me guys it is very simple and you can change your website title and tagline at any time.
To do so go to “Settings” select “General”, where you will see an option to update or change your website title and tagline. Once you have made the changes, click on ” Save changes” button.
How can I disable comments for post and pages?
To disable comment feature on your website follow the below steps.
1) In text editor at the top right corner, you will see “Screen Option”. Once you click on this some options will appear.
2) You have to click on “Discussion”, then a new section will appear below the text editor, where you have to uncheck“Allow comments”. So, that on that particular post/ page no one will be able to comment.
3) To disable comment on every new page or post by default, go to “Settings >> Discussion” and uncheck “Allow people to post comments on new article”.
How to edit sidebar?
Almost every WordPress themes have a sidebar on the right side, however, in some cases, it will be on the left side.
To customize sidebar (technically known as “widget”) one can follow the below steps:
1) Go to “Appearance” followed by “Widgets” in the sidebar of WordPress Dashboard.
2) From there you can drag and drop available widgets to the different boxes of your sidebar, you can also completely remove the item you don’t want.
How to setup static front page
1) Go to "Settings" followed by "Reading"
2) Choose the static page you want to display as the home page under the "HomePage" option.
How to install Plugin on WordPress?
Plugins give additional features to WordPress themes to expand or increase its capability which doesn’t come built-in.
Just like installing themes, plugins are also very simple to install.
- Go to the sidebar of the dashboard
- Click on “Plugins” followed by “Add new” and start searching for the plugins you need.
- Once you find the plugin of your choice, click on install and it will be ready to use.
However, before installing any plugins, I would suggest you read this article carefully. Things you must know before installing WordPress plugins.
That's all you will need to start your website. Quick review.
- Go to Fastcomet and setup your CMS
- Choose best suitable theme
- Add Pages and Post ( if you have a blog section )
However, I will suggest some popular, powerful and most useful plugins for your website that will be needed.
1. Contact form 7 is the best plugin to have, people can fill the form and send an email to you without login into their own email. Even on my website, I have used the same plugin. It is fabulous. You can check my post how to add a contact form on your website.
2. Yoast SEO is the most powerful plugins for a WordPress website. Having Yoast SEO installed on your website will improve the ranking of your site on Google. So, it is highly recommended to install and use Yoast SEO to rank your website in an easy way.
3. Limit Login Attempts is highly recommended it protects your website from unauthorized login. If someone tries to login to your WordPress back-end account, it will block that user (IP Address) as per your settings. It is very easy to install and setup Limit Login Attempt.
4. Meta Slider is one of the best and free plugins to add image slider in your WordPress website. It is responsive in nature and very easy to customize. To make thing easier I have made a complete guide on Meta Slider check this out.
Congratulations buddy!! You have created your WordPress website on your own. Cheers...!!
If you found this guide helpful, do support me by sharing it. If you need any assistance or help comment below I will definitely help you with that.
- How to get High-quality images for your blog
- How to create XML sitemap
- How to add social sharing buttons
- How to monetize your website
- How to add Google Adsense in your website
FREE EXCLUSIVE BLOGGING TIPS
Enter your email below to get early access to my blog post and receive notifications in your inbox.
Get it now 🙂